Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:04:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Doug Hass <dhass@imagestream.com>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, MurrayTaylor <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Alfred Shippen <ashippen@metromatics.com.au>
Subject:   Re: FYI

> Would your agreements allow you to provide resources to a small
> number of developers (under NDA and all that of course) to produce
> drivers that you would then release in binary form (eg a kernel
> module) under a free license?

It sure would.

> If you cannot release the source code to your drivers, can you
> release hardware programming specifications (again, perhaps under
> NDA) that allowed someone to develop an independant free licensed
> driver?

Unfortunately, the API to the cards (the driver development kit, hardware
programming specifications or whatever you want to call them) are licensed
from several third parties and we are bound by agreement not to make them
public.  The 400 series cards (and, for that matter, the RISCom/N2 series
cards) did not require an API, which is how BSDI and FreeBSD drivers came
about in the first place.

As I mentioned above, we CAN license the driver code and the DDK for
development.  This means that you could produce FreeBSD drivers which we
could then distribute in a binary form under a free end-user license.

Regards,

Doug

-----

Doug Hass