Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: vm_object_terminate: freeing busy page 0xc0fbcdc4

:
:Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
:>     I have no idea what 4.5-p4 is.  Is it RELENG_4 (stable) or RELENG_4_5
:>     (the security branch), and what was the build date?
:
:It's RELENG_4_5 (the security branch) but the 4th patched release of
:that, build date is:
:
:..
:>     the best thing to do is probably to upgrade to the latest -stable.
:
:Ahhh, ok. Thanks a bunch, there -is- a fix. =)
:------
:Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

    Hi Dave.  I found the original thread.  Tor found a bug that he
    fixed which I've included below.  I believe the vm_object_terminate():
    freeing busy page problem may be related.

    In anycase, this bug was fixed in 1.147.2.16 in -stable.   RELENG_4_5
    was forked off at 1.147.2.13.

    I don't know if upgrading will fix your problem but there's a chance
    that it will.  If it doesn't we'll work through getting a kernel dump
    and investigating further.

						-Matt

: (Original message from Tor)
:Subject:  Patch to solve panic when reading from raw devices
:Date:     Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:33:51 GMT
:...
:It is currently possible to crash the system when reading from raw
:devices if the program is using aio or linuxthreads:
:
:  vm_page_free: pindex(0), busy(0), PG_BUSY(1), hold(1)
:  panic: vm_page_free: freeing busy page
:  cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
:  Debugger("panic")
:  Stopped at      Debugger+0x41:  xorl    %eax,%eax
:
:This happens if the memory is unmapped before the read has completed,