Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:33:19 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        spaz@u.washington.edu (John Utz)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD-K5-100 cache errors?

John Utz stands accused of saying:
> 	My only problem is that i get sig11's when i try and compile
> things :-(. Having visited the web page and the FAQ, i disabled various
> caches until i discovered that disabling the internal cache eliminated the
> problem. Now, is this a defective chip or is this a known problem with
> using the k5 and freebsd? The problem only manifests itself during
> compilations.

Sounds like memory.  We've been using K5-PR100's here as a cost-effective
Pentium alternative for some time now (in Soltek VX boards) and have had
no complaints at all.  (I regularly world and have recently joined the
'make release' club 8)

You wouldn't, by any chance, have 4x8M Hyundai SIMMs would you?  We've
been having _terrible_ trouble with Hyundai memory parts over the last
month or two.