Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:05:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        brdean@unx.sas.com (Brian Dean)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aio_read panics SMP kernel

Brian Dean said:

> I'm using a dual 350MHz Dell Precision 410 with 4.0-19990130-SNAP (SMP
> enabled) to prototype a program that uses asynchronous read and write
> (aio_read() and aio_write()), and found that the following simple and
> not very useful program (it's for demonstration purposes only!) causes
> the system to do one of three things:

The VM code needs to be upgraded to support proper threading and shared
address space operations under SMP.  That is a major missing feature, and
probably something that should be higher priority than it currently is.

I have experimental work to support it (and alot of other interesting things),
but it will probably be quite a while before those who are currently working
on the code will be able to add the capability.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid