Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:35:50 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.ORG" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Updating ported software

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 12:19:10AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> How about when one is trying to update a package for which other
> packages depend?
>
> Example we packages:
> B <==depends on A
>
> And I wanto to upgrade A Whenever I had this I had to force pkg_delete
> to delete the package and reinstall A.  My only concern with that
> method is that then the dependency for B points to the wrong package.
>
> If only one package depends on another it is easy. I can delete
> both. The issue is with packages which may have multiple other
> packages depending on them.
>
> How do others handle this?

What I do is copy the file /var/db/pkg/packageA/+REQUIRED_BY someplace
convenient. Then I would do a 'make' for packageA to be sure it
builds. After I know it builds correctly I will do a
'pkg_delete -f packageA'. Then a 'make install' for packageA. Then
finally move the +REQUIRED_BY file back to /var/db/pkg/packageA.

Now, if packageA is a library and there has been a version bump for
that library you will have to reinstall all of the packages that depend
on packageA (listed in the +REQUIRED_BY file) to pick up the new
library. One thing to watch out for here is that sometimes the port
Makefiles may still be looking for the old version. That is not suppose
to happen but occasionally does. If so, just tweak the Makefile to look
for the new library version and send-pr so it can be fixed.

Hope that helps.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252