Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:49:10 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Drew <usernumber1000@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supfile tag to use?  port/src

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:21:48AM -0800, Drew wrote:

> > You are right.
> > /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile is more...
> > explicit :)
> >

> What do you mean?  The handbook says "don't use tag=.,
> except for ports", but the standard file has such.
> Which is it?  Use it or don't?  And if I do what
> branch will I be getting?
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook\
> >   /cvs-tags.html
> >
> > 5.2.1 is not here right now.
> >

> Looking at that url I see two tags of note: RELENG_5_2
> and RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE.  is the _RELEASE tag just
> the 5.2.1 as it was released and no updates since?  Is
> RELENG_5_2 current ie = 5.2.1?
>
> What I don't understand is what tag I should use to
> follow the 5.X series.  Must I change the tag
> everytime a new version comes out?  Is there not a tag
> I can use that get the lastest in the 5.x CURRENT
> series always?

Like you wrote: tag=. mean get me the latest. The reason this isn't
advisable is because a bug can easly kill you system. I would advise
you to use the RELENG_5_2 (i.e. 5.2 + updates) and change when the next
version comes out. There aren't going to be any 5.2.1 unleas there's a
good reason for. (The last FreeBSD version out of the 4.x brange that
has this was 4.6)

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: