Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:26:38 +0200
From:      Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enabling norwegian sorting rules in PostgreSQL?

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know how to enable norwegian sorting rules for PostgreSQL
>> (8.2.4) on FreeBSD 6.x ?
>>
>> I've tried just about everything i can think of, but the extra three
>> letters just wont be sorted right.
>
> You'll probably need the ICU patch for PostgreSQL, which is
> unfortunately only available for 8.1.x - maybe you can bug the developer
> to provide it for newer versions of PostgreSQL.

Actually, i tried that and that didn't help at all.
Granted that was with UTF-8.

I came across an old open PR (51920) that adds Norwegian Collate
(ISO8859-1 + ISO8859-15) support to FreeBSD. Now my console and my
postgresql sorts correctly. I just hope someone would commit this
support to the tree.
The LATIN-1 / la_LN.ISO8859-1 collate is not right for norwegian alphabet.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/51920

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal