Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 12:44:09 +0000 ()
From:      ywliu <team_fbf@pristine.com.tw>
To:        boot@mosquito.com (Bruce Bauman)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, boot@itchy.mosquito.com
Subject:   Re: limiting mailbox size?

> We are a small ISP running FreeBSD. We run quotas to prevent users from using more disk
> space than their limit, but occasionally we find users with huge mailboxes in /var/mail.
> How do other providers deal with this? Should I just write a perl script that sends mail
> to the user, or sends a mail message when they log in?
>
> -- Bruce Bauman
>    Mosquito Net, Inc.

We had the same problem here. First, we tried to set up a quota limitation
on the mail partition, but when sendmail writes to the user box, its euid
is root, so it still can writes to users' mail box. But, since most of
our users are using POP mail, and the popper would duplicate the user's
mail box in /var/mail, so quota restriction still working. But if the user
reads his mail via ELM, PINE, etc., this doesn't work.

Now we do this manually : if the user's mail quota is going to exceed, we mail
a warning message to him/her, and when quota is exceeded, we redirect the
user's mail to another place until s/he reduces the disk usage.

---
Yen-Wei Liu
team_fbf@pristine.com.tw