Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:52:35 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Vlad Manilici <vman@tmok.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS/cvsup problems (ports/74157)

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 11:03:52PM +0100, Vlad Manilici wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> > I use CVS to check out from my own local copy of the repository (which
> > it seems you do too.) I use CVSup to keep my local copy of the
> > repository updated (cvsuping from cvsup.dk.freebsd.org)
>
> Could you please post your supfile? The Handbook does not document cvsuping
> the repository, nor where the master mirror sites are. Some rsync sites are
> listed, though (Section A.8).

Look at the example sup files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
cvs-supfile found in there should be good for getting the repository.

All cvsup mirrors should support getting a copy of the repository.

See the handbook sections A5.3 and A5.7 where these things are
documented.

> I strongly disgree with the documented way of updating the sources via
> cvsup (Handbook, A.5). A local copy of the sources, without CVS tags, makes
> it impossible to generate patches of own changes. I suppose much work gets
> lost like this.

For developers it is very convinient to have a local copy of the
repository, which is obtainable via cvsup as I mentioned above.
For normal users there is not much point in having it and it uses up
another 2GB of diskspace and makes updates slower (since yo have to run
both cvsup and cvs, as opposed to just cvsup if use cvsup to checkout a
particular branch.

> > Is there some particular reason you use rsync instead of cvsup to get a
> > copy the repository?
>
> 1. rsync -> only documented method

Not at all.  cvsup is also documented and probably used more.

> 2. allbsd.org -> random choice
>
> > Since I don't use rsync I have no idea if teh above line is correct or
> > not.  I also have no idea if rsync.allbsd.org is up to date and working
> > or not, but if it is not it quite likely the cause of your problem.
>
> It seems so. The only way to check this out is by using an "official"
> repository. See above about posting your supfile.
>
> > I don't think there is any need to use the '-R' option to those
> > commands (it is not even documented in the manpage.)
>
> Read better:
>
> -R     Turns  on  read-only  repository mode.

In that case you want 'cvs -R update -P -d', not 'cvs update -R -P -d'
It does matter if you put options before or after the cvs command.
(The general syntax for cvs is
'cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options]'
'-R' for read-only repository is one of the "general" cvs options and
as such must come before the command.
Use 'cvs --help', 'cvs --help-options' and 'cvs -H update' to see what
options are valid.

(I have read the CVS documentation before.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson