Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:22:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, lists@rhavenn.net, rsmith@xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: ntpd not removed; WITHOUT_NTP enabled in src.conf

Roland Smith wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > When you disable something in src.conf(5), its files *will*
 > > be removed when you do "make delete-old".
 > >
 > > See the file src/tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc
 > > for all the details.  It's included by src/ObsoleteFiles.inc
 > > which in turn is included by src/Makefile.inc1 (after
 > > /etc/src.conf was parsed by share/mk/bsd.own.mk).
 >
 > Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the heads-up :-)
 >
 > > If that doesn't work for WITHOUT_NTP, then that's a bug.
 > > Probably some entries missing in OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc.
 >
 > There are a actually quite a lot missing, if you compare src.conf(5) with
 > /usr/src/tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc

That's true.  I guess some people simply forget it (or don't
know about it) when adding a knob for src.conf.

There's another pitfall:  When you install, say, BIND from
the ports collection with the option WITH_REPLACE_BASE=true
and add WITHOUT_BIND=yes to src.conf.  When you update your
world it will wipe out your BIND files that were installed
from ports, so you have to re-install the port.  I haven't
tried this myself, though ...  Maybe there's a safety-belt
somewhere.

Anyway -- Only very few ports have a good reason to have
an option to install them in base.  The ntp port isn't one
of them, so clearly there's no harm to add its files to the
OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc file.

Best regards
   Oliver

(On the statement print "42 monkeys" + "1 snake":)  By the way,
both perl and Python get this wrong.  Perl gives 43 and Python
gives "42 monkeys1 snake", when the answer is clearly "41 monkeys
and 1 fat snake".        -- Jim Fulton