Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:10:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do you support

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote...
> >> So why is it that the NCR driver works so well?  I think this is
> >> more a matter of perspective than fact.  There are users of both
> >> the Adaptec and NCR cards that will say they work flawlessly and
> >> users who say they break in configuration X
> >
> >I don't know of any NCR users that have ever said it was broken.  Either
> >it worked, or it didn't.  No corruptions, no weird error messages, if it
> >was found it worked.
> >
> >Nate
>
> Read the NetBSD lists.

There seem to be a lot of NetBSD users that have lotsa problems with the
ncr. On my Alpha it works just fine. The 2 in my FreeBSD box also work fine.

But be careful: it seems that the NetBSD problems are (highly) sensitive to
the brand/model of devices attached to it. So it looks to me like a less
than optimal behaviour of the driver when confronted with less-than-optimal
firmware/devices.

---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --