Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:03:54 GMT
From:      Andreas Haakh <ah@haakh.de>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@piro.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISDN@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Auth Problems

Am 15.12.99, 11.46.53, schrieb Paul Herman <pherman@piro.net> zum Thema =

Re: PPP Auth Problems :

> Hi all,

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> > Paul Herman writes:
> > >Hi Christoph,

ed=20
to run

> > >You've got the famous "Auth Loop" bug which about 3-4 people report=
ed
> > >having (myself included).  I could only connect about 50% of the=20=

time.

I used to suffer from this authorisation loop as well (I use FreeBSD=20=

4.0-CURRENT).
The problem was solved when I looked into the FAQ regarding the=20
configuration of=20
the sppp device. Have a close look to the configuration-options=20
myauthproto and=20
hisauthproto.

Right now I use in rc.conf:

ifconfig_isp1=3D"inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 link1"
#
sppp_interfaces=3D"isp1"
spppconfig_isp1=3D"myauthproto=3Dpap=20
myauthname=3DXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX#0001  \
	myauthsecret=3D00XXXXXXX hisauthproto=3Dnone callin"
#
route_DnsDtag=3D"-host 194.25.2.129 -interface isp1"

and finaly solved the problem by=20

> > >Two solutions have been proposed:
> > >   * Use Brian Sommers ppp(8) (aka user-ppp)
> > >

> > Try applying the patch which Marc van Woerkom posted on 19 Nov 1999.=

> > You can find it in the mail archive at www.freebsd.org. The subject:=

> > Subject: Infinite loop (sppp/lcp)
> >
> > I've seen a report that this doesn't necessarily work, but it's wort=
> > a try.

> I woulnd't try this patch, because this also changes all other PPP=20=

state
> machines, (not just LCP, but IPCP as well!).  I spoke with Marc about =

> month ago and we both agreed that this bug isn't on the sppp level,=20=

but
> most likely is some where else:  0.71 doesn't have this problem and=20=

there
> hasn't been any significant changes to the sppp code since then.

> We also agreed that this bug *needs* to be fixed, but no one seems to =

be
> actively persuing it.

> > I know of no-one who is actively trying to fix this, if Marc's patch=
=20
does
> > not do the trick. None of the developers see this bug, and therefore=

> > cannot do much about it.

> I just settled into my new job last week, and I'm finaly buying a used=
=20
PC
> for home in a few weeks, and then I will try to dive into the layers=20=

code
> (eewwww) and see what there is to see.  I have no clue about layers=20=

1-3 so
> this _will_ take time.

> -Paul.

Hope this helps.