Date:      Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:18:13 +0200
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        fbsdq <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: audio -> mp3 kaudiocreator replacement

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:43:21 +0200
dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st> wrote:

> I once used kaudiocreator to rip some CD's and convert them to MP3
> files.
> Another approach would be a really good script to rip/encode CD's.
> Suggestions?

Someone mailed me a suggestion: GRIP.
I installed it and I must say, it works very nice.

I have ONE big qustion about ripping/encoding in FreeBSD though: SPEED.

Today I ripped + encoded the same CD in windows/musicmatch. The
rip/encoding (simultaniously) had a 18,2x speed! It went very very
fast. The whole CD was ready (ripped/encoded; mp3,224b,cbr,lame) in
less then three minutes.

GRIP rips with a 4.4x speed and also has to encode the track after
that. Much much slower.. All on the same hardware :-/

Does anybody has some suggestions how I can speed up the process of
ripping / encoding. It should be possible to gain speed in FreeBSD too
I guess. Or is musicmatch really such a speed monster.?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4