Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:10:41 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Mike" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with this network card / driver?

> Hi guys... using 3.0 release on 2 servers....3.0 reports this particular
> card like this on boot
>
> lnc1: <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 0x25 int a irq 14 on pci1.5.0
> lnc1: PCnet-FAST address 00:60:94:57:4c:f2

Yeah.  The lnc driver is pretty marginal at the moment.  I'd avoid it
if at all possilble.  I ran some tests at the local IBM evaluation lab
and I wasn't too happy with the onboard ethernet.  Try an Intel
EtherExpress Pro/100B instead if you're really concerned.

> In any case should I be concerned at all? Like I said the machine hums
> along perfectly but being the paranoid little guy that I am, I want to know
> all the details before they
> reach up and bite me on the ass.

If it's working OK, then it'll probably continue to work just fine.
It's quite likely that the BSD/OS driver just doesn't bother to report
this error (which seems to indicate a very busy ethernet).