Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2010 00:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      fbsdmail@dnswatch.com
To:        "Steve Kargl" <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When will the amd64 be supported?

On Fri, June 4, 2010 12:21 am, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:16:50AM -0700, fbsdmail@dnswatch.com wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> If it isn't already apparent, this is my first attempt building kernel
>> on an AMD based arch. I have spent some 20yrs building world/kernel on
>> the arch i386. But, after reading everything I thought I would need to
>> know, I'm /still/ unable to complete a successful kernel build on the
>> amd64 arch.
>>
>> cd /usr/src make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYAMDKERN fails: MYAMDKERN not
>> found cd sys/amd64/ config MYAMDKERN OK
>> cd ../compile/MYAMDKERN make cleandepend && make depend fails with alot of
>> "i386" errors
>>

>> So, on a fresh 8-RELEASE install from DVD w/cvsupped src && ports, now
>> running GENERIC, with a successful buildworld... Is it possible to build
>> for the amd64 arch?
>>
>> If so, can anyone suggest where I went wrong?
>>

> What does uname -a return?

Hmmm... Looks like you're on to something here, Steve;
FreeBSD 8-RELEASE GENERIC i386

That "i386" doesn't look right, does it?

I guess I've done something terribly wrong during makeworld
(make installworld hasn't been done yet).
I've /obviously/ overlooked something. Would anyone care to
/kick/ me in the right direction?
Apologies for the "niose"

Thank you for all your time and consideration.

--Chris