Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 11:49:09 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        ade@demon.net
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

> Mike Smith writes:
> >
> >This loses in the case where there is no boot.banner message.  Help is
> >not displayed by default anymore, and there is no way to determine that
> >you need to type said command.
>
> Unfortunately, I've yet to find a way to do this without making the
> resulting binary too big -- 300 bytes isn't an awful lot to play
> around with :)

Hmm, if you want to save space, try removing the bad144 stuff.  It
wastes a great deal of space for almost zero functionality.

> I understand the problem with not having a "type 'help'" tag somewhere
> in the boot loader itself, but is the situation where we don't
> have a boot.banner (and thus no indication of how to get help) such
> a major issue?  After all, we can ensure that a boot.banner will be
> present after an initial system install.  Should the end-user then
> go and delete boot.banner, is it not reasonable to assume that they're
> "advanced" in that they'll remember to be able to type 'help' at
> the boot prompt?  (assuming of course that they haven't trashed
> boot.text as well :)

You are suggesting that if boot.banner is not found, boot.help is
displayed by default?  That's not unreasonable.

> This is all horribly reminisicent of spending days, data sheets in
> hand, trying to shave just that one extra cycle out of code, trying
> to make it fit into horribly small eeproms for embedded systems,
> many moons ago.

Heh.  I've just escaped that one too. 8)
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\