Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:04:59 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Robin Cutshaw <robin@XFree86.Org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build timings - FreeBSD 4.2 vs. Linux

> Yup: 4.x sucks at SMP. Try the comparison again with uniprocessor
> kernels - I expect you'll see a much smaller difference.

I rather doubt that SMP has anything whatsoever to do with this.

4.x's SMP implementation may be far from optimal, but I've done a lot
of my own uniprocessor vs 2 vs 4 CPU configurations and I've never
seen anything as bad as what Robin is describing here.  I'm more
suspicious of differences in the filesystem mount options.

- Jordan