Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 2020 22:38:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   best upgrade process for server

Hi all,

I'd like suggestions for a new basic server. I'm currently running my website and a number of web apps I use to demo enterprise work processes on a single-disk 11.3 server with a 2nd disk for periodic backups of the web apps and the occasional file system dump. I'm concerned about backups and recovery, and would like replace the server with a new ZFS-based system and a pool of three or four 1T SSDs. I'm not interested in laboring over spec's and tweaking the system out and I'm not storing the world's movie collection. I favor basic, mature parts and minimum time spent making decisions.

Is the following migration strategy reasonable? Can I restore a dump from my single-disk system to a new bhyve/ZFS system? Can I copy the virtualbox-ose virtual disk file to the new system and bhyve will know what to do? I'm using the virtualbox-ose NAT to remap the vm IP address and port, will bhyve be able to do this?

Thanks for your recommendations.

## CURRENT SERVER

wwww.dalescott.net:8080 <------------------------------------+

www.dalescott.net <--\ +--------+-------+
mantisbt.dalescott.net <--+ | ERPNext/Linux |
proqjector.dalescott.net <--+ +-----------------------------------+
nextcloud.dalescott.net <--+-----+ Apache/MySQL/PHP | virtualbox|ose |
+------------------+----------------+
| FreeBSD 11.3 |