Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 09:55:36 +1000 (EST)
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Is using fdisk a must?

I'm experimenting with setting up scsi disks using disktab and disklabel.
I've nutted out how disktab + disklabel works, and built successfully
a disktab for the scsi drive I'm using. A COMPAQ C2490A 2.1GB drive.
It appears to actually be a HP Manufactured drive. Anyway, having
done that, the new drive goes through newfs ok, and the partitons mount.
Everything appears to work.

However, doing 'fdisk sd1' tells me that the only partiton that is
actualy a correct FreeBSD partition (slice) is the 'e' partiton.
All the others have bad magic numbers and so on.

No matter what I do with disklable/disktab/scsiformat, this persists.

So the question is:

Is a correct FreeBSD drive dependant on being made in the firstplace
with fdisk, then labeled accordingly.?

ta
Robert
--