Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:57:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        petermatulis@yahoo.ca (Peter)
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: seeking help on "adding a disk"

> --- Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > # newfs -U /dev/ad2s1e
> >
> > Newfs used to require the raw device name, as in
> >
> >    newfs -U /dev/rad2s1e
> >
> > but I see the man page doesn't show that in its example now, so
> > maybe it no long does.   Try it once and see.

> > > Nope.  Same error.  Retries of newfs causes crashes at random
> > sectors.
> > > I am guessing that the 40-wire cable is causing poor signaling.  I
> > also
> > > tried changing the offset of 'e' to 0 and modifying the 'size' so
> > that
> > > it matches 'c'.
> >
> > Could be.  If using rad2s1e doesn't help, then maybe that is your
> > problem.
>

> This is all I have:
>
> $ ls -lh /dev/r*
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  10 Apr  9 15:55 /dev/random
>
> No raw devices.

Yes.  devices don't just show up and stay there any more.  They
are managed by devfs.   I haven't studied that to see just how
it works yet, so I don't know at which point it should start showing
up in /dev if ever.

I just figured trying a newfs with the /dev/r... might be something
to try out to see what happened - sort of an experiment and if that
doesn't do it, then maybe the thing to pursue is your concern about
the cables.

If that doesn't work, I think this has gone beyond any problems I have
ever had so I don't know what else to suggest.  Hopefully someone else
will have some thing to say.

////jerry