Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:18:00 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Henrik Zagerholm <henrik@flowsolutions.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking problem! Watchdog -- Timeout

Henrik Zagerholm wrote:

> Hi all!
> Installing 5.2 on my new box with an integraded Intel PRO 1000 CT NIC.
> System detects it as em0 but I cant get it to work. I'm trying dhcp
> and I have added the line: ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in rc.conf but I still
> get this problem.
> em0: Watchdog Timeout ---Resetting
>
> IF I disable ACPI it works perfectly so I think it's IRQ related or?

Please note that I am not associated with the Project
while you read this.

I think that this is a bug with the em driver on the 5.X
series.  You did note that it's a "new technology" release
and not "advertised" to be suitable for everybody, right?

IIRC, there have been issues with both em(4) and
ACPI on the -HEAD (CURRENT, 5.X) code for a while.  Good
programmers are giving lots of the time and energy, coding
for free to get it working, but some things are tricky.  You might
run without ACPI for a while, switch NICs until the problem is
fixed, or run 4.9 or 4.10 [which is due out Real Soon Now(tm)]
instead of 5.2 ....

Kevin Kinsey