Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 14:51:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>, "'Mike Smith'" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DPT driver fails and panics with Degraded Array

(removing -scsi; it's not *that* interesting)

On Thu, 28 May 1998 at 23:54:49 -0400, tcobb wrote:
> [...]

Good question.

I suspect that the tone of your message rubbed Mike up the wrong way.
He may have been over-reacting, but I can understand where he's coming
from.  You have apparently decided to use -CURRENT and the DPT driver
on a live system, and are upset that it doesn't perform as well as
production software.  We are also often upset about the quality of the
-CURRENT software, but most of us either try to fix it or report
things in a more neutral manner.  We see rather too many messages just
plain complaining.

> My problem report (most of which you snipped) pointed out a deficiency
> in the DPT driver code which renders it useless in HA applications.  I
> believe that this deficiency is likely to be present in ALL VERSIONS of
> this code, unless suddenly, people are putting the newest code in the
> oldest versions of the OS.

If you just want to report a bug, use send-pr.  That will reach the
person responsible for it as quickly as possible (consider that a lot
of us just drop some of the mailing lists when the combined volume
gets too high).  The purpose of sending the message to -CURRRENT
would be to draw the problem to the attention of other people using
the software.

> "Indicators" are that I shouldn't be using FreeBSD for any High
> Availability or critical operations -- I AM using FreeBSD for > 15 live
> servers.
>
> Now, what was your point?

Well, Mike's probably asleep, but how about this for starters:

People occasionally have other reasons for wanting to use FreeBSD-CURRENT.  The
following are not good reasons:

o They  see  it  as  a  way to be the first on the block with great new FreeBSD
  features.  This is not a good reason, because there's no  reason  to  believe
  that  the  features  will stay, and there is good reason to believe that they
  will be unstable.

o They see it as a quick way of getting bug fixes.  In  fact,  it's  a  way  of
  testing  bug fixes.  Bug fixes will be retrofitted into the -STABLE branch as
  soon as they have been properly tested.

o They see it as the newest officially supported release of FreeBSD.   This  is
  incorrect:  FreeBSD-CURRENT  is  not  officially  supported.   The support is
  provided by the users.

Basically, I'd guess Mike is saying "don't use FreeBSD-CURRENT in
production environments".

Greg