Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 09:25:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dave@persprog.com (David Alderman)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: motherboard and Ethernet card recommendations

> Rodney Grimes recommended:
>
> > XX. ASI ASUS-PCI/I-P55TP4N  Motherboard w/256K 8nS PBurst SRAM cache   $ 210.00
> > XX. TMG EFA18215 EFA PCI Ethernet Card, 10BaseT & BNC, DC21040         $  85.00
> Note: lots o' useful information omitted.
>
> This is a Triton board, isn't it?
Yes, but not all Triton boards are equal, some folks design better
artwork than others, some write better bios's than others, etc...

> We have had a horrible time with
> an ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4XE and an SMC PCI network card that I think uses
> the DC21040 chipset.  Unfortunately, for this apllication we are
> running (please, don't hit me!) SCO Open Server.

Your problem is most likely SCO open server, I just did a machine for
someone and what a nightmare to get it working!  God, they call that
a ``commercial'' unix :-( :-(.

> A typical netstat -i shows:
> > netstat -i
> Name  Mtu   Network     Address         Ipkts    Ierrs Opkts   Oerrs Coll
> net1  1500  192.2.2     meddml          11852554 120  12836553 275265 138074
> lo0   8232  loopback    localhost       149531   0     149531   0     0
>
> A machine on the same subnet with the ASUS Neptune board and an EISA
> network card has no such problem with Ierrs Oerrs or Collisions.

Bad NIC, bad cable?  Did you get the latest AHS update and the latest NIC
driver from smc's ftp site?

> I know this doesn't have much bearing on FreeBSD but I would
> appreciate any advice you could give.  Would the TP4N work better?

There is very very little difference between a tp4xe and a tp4n, basically
they took the async cache chips off the MB, added 2 PB cache chips and the
tag ram.  You upgrade to 512K cache buy installing a 256K _upgrade_ module
in the COAST socket.  [_upgrade_ is highlighted there, as this is not
the same as a standard 256k module, as this special one has no tag ram,
and if you try to use the ones that do you end up with 0K cache]

> Would the TMG card be a better choice than SMC?

Should be the same, and it is an EFA card card, TMG is my distributor
code.  Under SCO I actually run the EFA card usings SMC's driver, SCO
isn't smart enough of a company to do things like the if_de driver,
even when DEC gives them the source code to it :-(.

> If I could use FreeBSD on this machine I would (and I bet it would
> solve our problems ;) ).

:-)