Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:08:08 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q: Known "hot swap" RAID configurations for 'BSD.

A group in my company wish to have a web server installed. It's going to be used as a web server +
e-commerce using our own homegrown solution that uses MySQL + apache + perl/CGI to serve the pages,
manage the database and take people's money. It must satisfy at least the following requirements:

 o good performance
 o maybe >1 CPU
 o 256 - 512MB RAM
 o reliable hardware
 o reliable software
 o RAID - preferably "hot-swappable".

It's connected to the world at 2MB/s shared. Because it's not carrying much data at the moment I
don't need a fantastically large RAID disk array.

Of course I'd love to use FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE, so can anyone recommend a good set-up? Perhaps someone
has a similar configuration that works for them and they could recommend it. And of course they want
it yesterday.

Due to my HP-UX 10 past I fell in love with their LVM stuff, so I'd like to use vinum. Is vinum
stable enough yet? (last time I checked it was considered beta, though I know some people have had
few/no problems) Can I use it with any hot-swap drive/controller sombo' reliably?

Input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam.