Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:44:57 +0100
From:      Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To:        Spidey Knepscheld <spidey@act.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCP

* Spidey Knepscheld <spidey@act.co.za> [0828 11:28]:
> Hi Guys
>

> I have to FreeBSD boxes next to each other and would like to copy a
> directory from the mail server to the firewall.I have root access to
> both the PC's.The directory on the mail server is /home/www/trafd and I
> would like to copy it to the fw to /usr/ports/net/ . Here is the command
> I tried :
>
> scp /home/www/trafd  <mailto:spidey@196.15.213.253>
> spidey@196.15.213.253: /usr/trafd

I assume the mailto link is sowe crap inserted by your mailer?
Also there shouldn't be a space between the colon and the /usr/trafd, and
you'd need a -r flag to recursively do it.

Also , tell us what error you got - I'd assume you aren't allowed to ssh as root into
196.15.213.253

> Please if someone can help

try rsync, that's much faster than scp:

rsync -vaz -e ssh /home/www/trafd spidey@196.15.213.253:/usr/trafd
--
Q:  How many Martians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A:  One and a half.