Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:48:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HEADS UP: Today is E-day

Drum roll ....

CLICK!

That's the sound that the big elf switch makes when it's thrown. Not
very impressive, I'll admit - it's not supposed to be.

Release Notes:

1.  For aout users, your next make world should behave like it always has.
    You won't get any elf bits until you run the upgrade procedure.

2.  For exiting elf users, please not the /etc/objectformat has changed
    to /etc/objformat for consistency.

3.  Don't put BINFORMAT or OBJFORMAT in /etc/make.conf (we don't want to
    add to that discussion now, do we?). Until just prior to the release
    of 3.0, aout will remain the default.

4.  The new build procedure handles the fact that /usr/share/mk does not
    contain up-to-date mk files. The -m argument is automatically added
    by the frontend makefile.

5.  The build procedure has been tested on 2.2.5-RELEASE, 2.2.6-RELEASE,
    2.2.7-RELEASE and 3.0-CURRENT.

6.  To upgrade from aout to elf, the command make aout-to-elf is your
    friend. Details of this are in src/Makefile. There are aout-to-elf-build
    and aout-to-elf-install targets too, for the less adventurous.

7.  If you are upgrading on an installed system that doesn't report uname -r
    as 3.0-CURRENT, the upgrade procedure includes a kernel build just
    in case. The GENERICupgrade kernel config file (funny name to ensure
    it doesn't clash with any you already have) is used by the upgrade
    procedure. If your system has a hardware configuration for which
    the GENERICupgrade (same as GENERIC) config file is inappropriate,
    replace the file with a suitable one before running the upgrade.

8.  The aout to elf upgrade procedure will stop and wait for confirmation
    before it updates the installed system. At each of these points, you
    can Ctrl-C to abort.

9.  If the GENERICupgrade kernel is built, the last phase installs the new
    kernel and reboots the system for you. When the system comes up,
    manually edit the _LDC line in /etc/rc to look for aout libraries in
    /usr/lib/aout, not /usr/lib.

10. When the upgrade installs the elf binaries, it creates (or replaces)
    /etc/objformat with OBJFORMAT=elf and from that point on, your system
    defaults to elf. There is still support for aout, but this is deprecated.
    The sooner you stop using aout, the better.

11. Once elf is the default, a make world will build the aout compatibility
    cruft, extending the build time significantly due to the number of
    libraries. You can stop building the aout stuff by setting NOAOUT in
    your /etc/make.conf. There are still a couple of bits that are aout
    only. Hopefully there will be elf replacements for these by the time
    3.0 is released.

12. The upgrade procedure requires lots of disk space for the obj tree.
    On my system it takes 320 Mb. I didn't want to delay E-day by trying
    to cut this back.

13. Don't expect to be able to build elf ports yet. Please allow the ports
    crew time to decide how best to support elf on 3.0 and aout on 2.2.X.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137