Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 01:40:20 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

At 02:30 PM 9/10/97 +1000, David Dawes wrote:
>On a partly related note, a future XFree86 release will put config files
>(like xdm config files for example) in a directory hierarchy below /var
>(most likely /var/X11).  It is possible that future X11 releases from The
>Open Group will do this too.  This will make it easier to use a read-only
>/usr/X11R6.  None of this has been set in stone yet, so if anyone has
>any comments about this, please let me know.

Wouldn't it be better to put them below, say, /etc/X11? With logging going
to /var/log/X11/* or something?

I personally am bothered by config files in /var. I was under the impression
that /etc was the proper location of config files.

>From NetBSD's hier manpage (the FreeBSD box in the apt is in the room of a
sleeping person, so...):

   /etc  system configuration files and scripts

   /var  multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files.

Am I out of line here?
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/