Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2019 16:48:13 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can kill(-1, 0) return EPERM?

On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 03:24:11AM +0300, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:

> > > It looks like I have misread the `else if' path of this core.
> > >
> > >     if (all) {
> > >         /*
> > >          * broadcast
> > >          */
> > >         sx_slock(&allproc_lock);
> > >         FOREACH_PROC_IN_SYSTEM(p) {
> > >             if (p->p_pid <= 1 || p->p_flag & P_SYSTEM ||
> > >                 p == td->td_proc || p->p_state == PRS_NEW) {
> > >                 continue;
> > >             }
> > >             PROC_LOCK(p);
> > >             err = p_cansignal(td, p, sig);
> > >             if (err == 0) {
> > >                 if (sig)
> > >                     pksignal(p, sig, ksi);
> > >                 ret = err;
> > >             }
> > >             else if (ret == ESRCH)
> > >                 ret = err;
> > >             PROC_UNLOCK(p);
> > >         }
> > >         sx_sunlock(&allproc_lock);
> > >     } ...
> > >
> > > so it's clear now where EPERM comes from. However it looks like the
> > > behavior contradicts the manpage - there are no signs of check that
> > > the signalled process has the same uid as the caller.
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean by 'signs of check'.  Look at p_cansignal()
> > and cr_cansignal() implementation.
>
> I've meant that according to the manpage
>
>      If pid is -1:
>              If the user has super-user privileges, the signal is sent to all
>              processes excluding system processes (with P_SYSTEM flag set),
>              process with ID 1 (usually init(8)), and the process sending the
>              signal.  If the user is not the super user, the signal is sent to
>              all processes with the same uid as the user excluding the process
>              sending the signal.  No error is returned if any process could be
>              signaled.
>
> IMO there should be an additional check in this condition:
>
>              if (p->p_pid <= 1 || p->p_flag & P_SYSTEM ||
>                  p == td->td_proc || p->p_state == PRS_NEW) {
>                  continue;
>              }
>
> E.g. something like
>
>              if (p->p_pid <= 1 || p->p_flag & P_SYSTEM ||
>                  p == td->td_proc || p->p_state == PRS_NEW ||
>                  (td->td_ucred->cr_ruid != 0 &&
> 			p->td_ucred->cr_ruid != td->td_ucred->cr_ruid) {
>                  continue;
>              }
>
> e.g. it should not even attempt to signal processes with other uids.
Why ?  You are trying to outguess p_cansignal(), which could deny
action for much more reasons, so you would get EPERM still, e.g. if the
target is suid.  Or, p_cansignal() also might allow to send the signal
even for mismatched uids, again look at it code.

I might guess that your complain is really about a different aspect
of it.  If you look at the posix description of the EPERM error from
kill(2) (really kill(3)), it says
[EPERM]  The process does not have permission to send the signal to
         any receiving process.
In other words, we should not return EPERM if we signalled at least one
of the process.

Is this the problem ?