Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 01:25:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, frank@our.domaintje.com, tcobb@staff.circle.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdate for 2.2.6?

> > > If patches were provided, say for soft updates, would they be
> > > integrated, or would thy have to remain "third party"?
> >
> >   Would said patches work?
> >
> >   Softupdates in current does not work.  Someone would have to pull quite
> > the rabbit out of their hat to get softupdates to work in 2.2.x before
> > current.
>
> Not so sure about that . -current has had quite a few VM changes in it.

I think this is very true; this is pretty much what I was alluding
to with my question.  I think -stable would be an easy port, if
someone were familiar with the OpenBSD code and wanted to take a
stab at it.

Most of the work is in the interaction with the VM system.

2.2.x would not be a picnic; some of the assumptions already being
corrected for in the -current port are based on a unified VM and
buffer cache model, which is present is -stable, as well.  But it's
cwertainly not outside the realm of possibility for an undergraduate
student who has half a year of independent study to do something with,
and no idea what to tackle.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---