Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:23:52 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Subject:   RE: Root access loggin

wrote:

> [...]
You seem to have a mistaken understanding of sudo.  You can grant them=20
access to everything that root has simply by adding their account to the=20
wheel group and using visudo to grant wheel access to everything that root=20
has access to.  You can do this with or without a requirement to type your=20
password when you use sudo.

This will allow them to do everything they want while logging every command =

they type.  And that seems to be exactly what you want.  So, rather than=20
giving them the root password, create an account for them, add it to the=20
wheel group and use visudo to edit /usr/local/etc/sudoers to grant wheel=20
access to everything.  (DO NOT edit the file with vi!)

To add the wheel group to a user:
pw usermod username -G wheel

Granting access to wheel should be self-explanatory:

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
%wheel  ALL=3D(ALL)       ALL
# %wheel        ALL=3D(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

That way everything they do is logged, and you don't have to compromise=20
your root password.

--=20
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst