Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/15545: New port: x11/xterm

The following reply was made to PR ports/15545; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
To: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:32:04 +0200

 Ade Lovett:

 > > The port installs under ${LOCALBASE}, not ${X11BASE}.
 >
 > Which is wrong.  xterm is most definitely an X application, and
 > thus should go under ${X11BASE}.

 This is news to me. I've been made to believe that installing ports
 under ${X11BASE} is a side effect if they're built with imake, and
 since this can't be fixed, it has become accepted practice but not
 a feature in its own right.

 > You then have the issue of depending how your ${PATH} is set up,
 > you could get the XFree86 xterm, or this one, with all the pitfalls
 > that causes.

 Yes.
 I don't perceive this as a great problem. What do you suggest?
 Adding a MESSAGE to that purpose, or entirely renaming this xterm
 (which opens up a new can of worms)?

 Obviously it would be nicer if we could just substitute XFree86's
 stock xterm with the new one, but the existing package system
 doesn't allow this.

 > You also end up creating ${LOCALBASE}/lib/X11/app-defaults which
 > as well as being somewhat unuseful (as you state), is also
 > not cleaned up on package deinstall.  Another "black mark".

 What do you mean, "not cleaned up on package deinstall"? The files
 are in the PLIST and will be removed on deinstall. I'm under the
 impression that it is common practice for ports not to try to remove
 directories that they don't use exclusively (which is uncertain
 for the case above), but adding two @dirrm's to the PLIST is hardly
 an obstacle.

 > Finally, since the author is committed to getting this xterm into
 > the main XFree86 4.0 tree, it would also appear that this port
 > would be fairly short-lived.

 Quite to the contrary. The port will be frequently updated.

 New versions of xterm are released more frequently than XFree86
 is. The main purpose of this port is to provide convenient and
 package-clean access to the latest versions of xterm between XFree86
 releases.

 (At this time it also provides a much improved xterm to people who
 choose to remain with XFree86 3.3.6 because 4.0 doesn't support
 their graphics hardware, as well as an important bug fix over the
 xterm shipped with XFree86 4.0. As far as I'm concerned, this proves
 the usefulness of the port.)

 --
 Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de