Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:25:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
Cc:        brianc@pobox.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: non-passworded accounts

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Gary Clark II wrote:

> Brian Campbell wrote:
> > After installing 2.2.1, can anyone change an account which has a
> > password so that it no longer does?
> >
> > I've had no luck.  The obvious vipw and remove empty passwd method
> > doesn't seem to work.
> You want to put a '*' in place of the password.

Isn't that how you lock an account so that it isn't accessible at all?
Hmm, I just realized the original question is ambiguous.  Brian, are you
trying to make a account inaccessible (i.e. no valid password at all) or
open (no password required at all)?

> Gary
>
> --
> Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
> gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team
>   Providing Internet and ISP startups - http://WWW.GBData.com for information
>        FreeBSD FAQ at ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/docs/FAQ.latin1

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."