Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 22:10:21 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Stunt Pope <markjr@shmooze.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support for HP SureStore DAT8 Tape Drives?

>Someone I know has ordered an HP SureStore DAT8 external tape drive for
>backup purposes on a few FreeBSD 2.2.2 boxes he's setting up.
>Since I'll be the guy hooking it up I thought I'd ask a couple questions:
>First off, does FreeBSD support these drives? (that's kind of important)

In general, SCSI devices are always universally supported, unless they
are abhorrent violators of SCSI protocols or standards.  There are
minor exceptions to this, but you should never have to ask "is this
supported" of SCSI devices (this doesn't include SCSI controllers)
unless it's a truly bizarre device.  Modern DAT drives are not bizarre
SCSI devices.

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.