Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:49:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Michael Edenfield <kutulu@kutulu.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Initial list of ports that fail due to -pthread

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Michael Edenfield wrote:

> * Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> [030923 22:21]:
>
> > Here is a partial list of the ports that need to be taught to respect
> > PTHREAD_LIBS and PTHREAD_CFLAGS, from the latest 5.x package build (I
> > just grepped for the "-pthread is deprecated" error message).  None of
>
> One very important group of ports that should get looked at when this
> gets worked out is KDE.  Apparently, Qt uses a different means of
> determining wether to use threading, than the ports that depend on it.
> The qt-using ports appear to check for -lpthread, then c++ -pthread, and
> if neither of those checks pass, disable threading:
>
> checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... no
> checking whether c++ supports -pthread... no

When libkse gets installed as libpthread, the above check
will be different.  But, if we want the thread library to
be selectable by PTHREAD_LIBS, this isn't what you'd want
if PTHREAD_LIBS != -lpthread.  This was going to be the next
hurdle to jump over.

If FreeBSD wants to take the simple approach and only support
one thread library in ports (-pthread == -lpthread) and not
make it selectable via PTHREAD_LIBS, then its not a problem.
It would be nice to be able to support all our thread
libraries, but I grow weary.

--
Dan Eischen