Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 22:38:23 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Please review:  XFree86 4.2.0 Configuration section for handbook

I've made an attempt at putting together updates for the pending 4.6-RELEASE
but have had great difficulty with the section for Configuring XFree86 (2.9.11).

When I configure XFree86(4.2.0) using the sysinstall options, it seems to always
produces an error message that the XFree86 Configuration process has failed
when it tries to test the configuration.  However, when I exit sysinstall
and use the same configuration file that was produced, it works.  I'm not sure
what the issues are at this point since I've tried this on different systems
with different hardware with the same results.

Since I cannot follow the sysinstall XFree86 configuration process, its difficult
to produce a good overview.  Consequently, this section is a little vague.

I've posted what I have at this point at:

	http://www.treefort.org/~rpratt/handbook/install-post.html

Have a look at section 2.9.11 and if you have time, try the XFree86 configuration
thru sysinstall on a 4.6-RC system.  If you have success using sysinstall to
configure XFree86, I'd certainly appreciate any input.  If its just me, I'll
accept the pointy-hat and go try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Randy