Date:      Wed, 21 May 2008 09:34:10 -0400
From:      "Tandon, Sahil \(IM\)" <Sahil.Tandon@morganstanley.com>
To:        "Jonathan McKeown" <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: rc script REQUIRE-ing a service on another host

Jonathan McKeown:

> We had a power failure last night, and this morning I found=20
> that imapproxyd (running on a webserver which provides=20
> webmail) had failed to start because it depends on imapd=20
> (running on the mailserver, a different host), and imapproxyd=20
> had won the startup race.
>=20
> I need to prevent the race by making one service depend on=20
> another service running remotely. While I sketch out some=20
> horribly untidy fix, can the Lazyweb tell me if there is=20
> already a neat solution for this?

I do not know if this is possible within the rc script itself.
Have you looked into sysutils/monit (to monitor and restart a=20
service like imapproxyd)?  Nagios is probably overkill for this. =20
Monit can be configured to check whether imapproxyd is running=20
and restart it if necessary.

Just make sure you do not make the monit rc script depend on
anything running remotely. :-)

--
Sahil Tandon

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender =
does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email =
is prohibited when received in error.