Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:24:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, questions@freefall.freebsd.org, me@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V1 #1174

>  * Yes, we want it.  I'd rather have XEmacs than not, and requiring a
>  * $100+ package to use it when it's not necessary seems a shame.
>
> No, the other alternative is to use the non-Motif toolkit for xemacs,
> at least for building packages.  Under no circumstances will we want
> to ship a package with Motif dynamically linked.

Agreed, but that is the current state of the xemacs package
unfortunately. :(

>  * When you add in the lisp files, adding a couple hundred K more isn't
>  * going to make *THAT* big of a difference.
>
> I surely would prefer a smaller binary, provided the functionality is
> abouth the same. :)  Michael, do you know how the Motif and non-Motif
> versions are different?

The 'Motif' version looks better.  But, functionally they are the same.
What's the size difference in the binary of a 'static Motif' binary
vs. a 'non-Motif' binary?  (Unfortunately, I don't have Motif or I'd do
the comparison myself, or at least build a local package that uses
Motif. :(

Nate