Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System unique identifier.....

> > > The host system BIOS NVRAM.  I thought we were looking for a per-host
> > > ID here, right?
> >
> > Yes, but this kind of NVRAM isn't available on an Alpha, or a Sparc.
>
> On the SPARC you can put it in the OpenBoot environment.  I dunno
> about the Alpha.

There's NVRAM and so on for a lot of machines.

I'm thinking that the cleanest place to put this which would be common
across all *BSD's would be:

a) A base release 128 bit UUID generator.

b) A step in kernel configuration that snags such a value and puts it in a
place that sysctl can get at it.

c) A utility that binary patches the kernel so that a change via sysctl is
persistent.

All of this is quite grotesque. If it was FreeBSD specific, then stuff in
/boot and sysctl would be fine- but I'd like to see this be *BSD, not just
FreeBSD.

-matt