Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 08:48:18 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Vampire D <vampired@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Replication

Vampire D wrote:
> Any advice / suggestions would be great.  We are trying to build a
> completely automated fail over solution for two servers using Apache,
> mySQL,
> PHP, and Postfix within a small monthly budget.

If your budget is less than $10K, don't even bother to try to set up a
fault-tolerant cluster; you're better off spending more on a
high-quality single machine with RAID-1 or -10 disk config, hot spare
drive, and dual power supplies...and tape backup, most importantly.

Trying to implement a highly reliable cluster on cheap hardware is
almost certainly going to prove futile or even counterproductive.  How
are you going to handle a split-horizon condition?

--
-Chuck