Date:      05 Sep 2000 22:32:50 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USE_LINUX?

 * From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>

 * Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
 * >
 * > Ok, so what about the following?  USE_LINUX_PREFIX will set USE_LINUX
 * > and also change the PREFIX.  USE_LINUX will only add the dependencies.
 * > LINUXBASE is defined as /compat/linux.
 *
 * We have a border case: linux_base itself. We obviously want that port to
 * use USE_LINUX_PREFIX as well, but don't want the automatic dependency
 * list (not all of it)

No problem -- the same thing happens to x11/XFree86* ports too.
linux_base can set PREFIX explicitly, just like the XFree86 ports.

 * Not all ports depend on ${LINUXBASE}/lib/libc.so.6. Some depend on
 * ${LINUXBASE}/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libc.so.5. This is probably
 * academic because both are present and we basicly only need to trigger
 * the automatic installation of either linux_base or linux_devtools
 * depending on the ports needs.

Yes.  I actually had the file you mentioned above but noticed that
alpha support has been added to linux_base instead, so I went for the
generic name.

Actually, looking at PLIST.alpha I just found libc is called
libc.so.6.1 there.  Hmm.  Should I switch with ${ARCH}, or is there
another generic file I can RUN_DEPENDS on?  I guess I can just use
ldconfig for both BUILD_DEPENDS and RUN_DEPENDS?

 * > /etc/mtree/BSD.linux.dist.  (Marcel? :)
 *
 * As if I don't have anything else to do :-)
 *
 * Why exactly do we need a BSD.linux.dist?

The list of directories. :)

 * All the logic is in the rpms installed by linux_base (and
 * linux_devtools). Maintaining a seperate BSD.linux.dist means that we're
 * duplicating information and thus that we're probably out of sync with
 * the next upgrade of either of these ports.

Ok.  The mtree files are used to ensure consistent directory
structures among other ports, but since all Linux-compat ports depend
on linux_base and will get the same set of directories from there,
this isn't much of a problem.  If you don't see the need, I'll just
change it to NO_MTREE.

 * Setting RUN_DEPENDS should be harmless WRT the linux_base port. It's
 * BUILD_DEPENDS that's causing problems. Do we have an INSTALL_DEPENDS?

RUN_DEPENDS is INSTALL_DEPENDS if you mean "dependency checked from
the install target". :)

Anyway, as I said above, I think linux_base can be the only port that
sets PREFIX=${LINUX_BASE} directly and all others can use one of
USE_LINUX_PREFIX or USE_LINUX.  (Sort of like the relationship between
USE_X_PREFIX and USE_XLIB -- the former implies the latter.)

Satoshi