Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:25:35 +0200
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: POP3, SMTP, Web Access...

You will get a lot of people's favourites with this question.
Here is my 0,2 Eurocents worth.
I don't use POP, so I have no view on that.

I have used Postfix for some time under FBSD and Linux and
it is, in comparison to sendmail, a dream to configure. It
is fast, reliable, very secure (the author is well know for his
security orientation!). It is configurable through a set of
straightforward config files (none of sendmail's obscure rule
syntax), can be easily run in a chroot jail..etc etc.
It even has a "sendmail" program that allows sendmail command
lines to be interpreted for postfix. Support via the mailing list
is excellent.
I would definitely check it out.

<www.postfix.org>

p.s. I use postfix for in-incoming-going SMTP on FBSD plus a handful
of Linux versions.
--

Regards
Cliff