Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 1996 16:00:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.EDU, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc* stuff

> >No, they aren't. rpc.statd is fully functional. rpc.lockd is halfway
> >functional. In either case, it doesn't hurt to have them on.
>
> $ man rpc.lockd | vgrep
> BUGS
>      The current implementation provides only the server side of the protocol
>      (ie. clients running other OS types can establish locks on a FreeBSD
>      fileserver, but there is currently no means for a FreeBSD client to es-
>      tablish locks).
> $ ^D
>
> I'd like to see them in the default /etc/rc too.

The lockd lies.  It always grants all lock requests because it does not
apply the locks to the local fs, and therefore does not run intersections
on them.

This should *not* be turned on by default.  The net effect it has to
to tell Sun machines "Quit yer bitchin'".

Server side locking requires extending the fcntl interface by five
commands.  You can get my code for 4 of them from Jordan, or I
posted them to -current and you can get it from the list archives.
The 5th call is converting an NFS file cookie into an open file
handle.  I didn't write it because I was unsure from the user space
code how the cookie would need to be represented.  Look at the
lease code function references for NFS as an LKM.  The routine
your fcntl op will need to call will need to be hooked via function
pointer the same way.  The actual routine is in /sys/nfs/nfs_subr.c.

You will still have to do user space descriptor agregation and
lock release in the rpc.lockd code.  This is basically grunt work
for list management code.  If you use pointer to pointers to self
reference the list elements, it should take no more than a day to
code and test.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---