Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 17:20:57 -0400
From:      Jerry Alexandratos <jerry.alexandratos@perspectives.net>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> says:
:
: Perhaps, the newbus  vs. newconfig discussion can be  summarized to both
: sides' satisfaction offline and then presented to the rest of the world?

But didn't this already happen.  I seem to recall a round of discussions
that went on a week before the new-bus switch.  The entire discussion
ran around in circles with both sides discussing the technical merits of
their implementation and both sides pointing out the problems in the
other's implementation.

Check the archives for the all the messages.

My personal opinion?  Well, I've been looking at the newconfig stuff and
I think that they weakened their cause by not following -current.  I've
been trying the stuff out since they announced.  But it does me no good
to try and use it if it's out of sync with userland.  Hey, I don't feel
like looking at "proc size mismatch" messages.  8)

I think the real shame is that both sides have good ideas and a lot of
the newconfig stuff could work with newbus.  However, instead of pooling
our resources we've divided them and drawn a line in the sand.  And I
can't say that I personally feel that all of the questioning e-mails
that have been going around the past day make me any more sympathetic to
the newconfig cause.

Core made a decision.  Let's follow it.  And before anyone throws any of
that "it's not traditional" stuff out, please remember that no other BSD
is using a boot loader like ours, NetBSD dropped Mach-VM for UVM, etc,
etc, etc...

My real fear is that this causes a rift which will lead to a split like
the Net/OpenBSD one.  At that point, both sides lose.

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 302.521.1018               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jalexand@perspectives.net  ||  ...It's much more important