Date:      11 Jul 2002 16:13:47 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        George <jirka@5z.com>
Cc:        ezislis <kesor@mail.ru>, gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDM 2.4.0.x & FreeBSD

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 09:39, George wrote:
> This would then seem to indicate that the error is on the daemon side since
> the greeter will work with an old daemon.  The IO channel stuff in gdlib has
> changed between 1.x and 2.0 so I think this is where the error lies.

Here is another data point for you.  In desperation, this morning on my
work machine I logged in to the console (ttyv0) and typed the following
at the command line:

# gdm --nodaemon ttyv8

Lo and behold, it worked!  It still hangs in the same place when run
from /etc/ttys, and when run from the console still generates the NULL
encoding error messages, but I was able to successfully login.

This would seem to indicate that some one of the stdio file descriptors
is causing a problem, since that is the main difference between running
in /etc/ttys and running from /dev/ttyv0 root login (I think?)

/Joe