Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 09:44:39 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Ghostbaer <ghostbaer@gmx.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config Question

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 08:46:20PM +0200, Ghostbaer wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 1999 09:55:11 -0700, Alex Nygren wrote:
>

> >I am a FreeBSD newbie, and am having some trouble making my driver
> >changes stick.  FreeBSD seems to recognize my NE2000 card on irq 10,
> >port 0x280.  However the card is at irq 11, port 0x280.
>
> Hi, Alex!
>
> I had the same problem (i'm still a newbie). You need to compile your own Kernel.
> I'll just give you a nice walk-thru, on how doing that. I hope you installed
> the sources for Kernel and all that stuff...
>
> 1. Login as user "ROOT"
> 2. cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf     		          <- That where the Kernelsource is located
> 3. cp GENERIC MyOwnKernel      	           <- Make a copy of your generic Kernel (GENERIC is all uppercase)
> 4. ee MyOwnKernel [or] vi MyOwnKernel    <- depends on what is your favorite editor
> 5. search for "ie0" and set irq 10 to 11
>     and change 0xMyPort you to your required settings
> 6. /usr/sbin/config MyOwnKernel     		<- Setup your Kernel
> 7. make depend 			            <- the regular make-stuff
> 8. make
> 9. make install
> 10. reboot your system
>
> If everything goes correct, you'll experience the joy of the net. In the case
> you actually FORGOT to install sources, when installing from a FTP-server,
> you got a serious problem. I had to completly reinstall FreeBSD =(

Then it would be better to get the src directory from the ftp-site and
run `sh install.sh sys` to install the kernel sources. You NEVER have to
reinstall FreeBSD (if you didn't screw upo the disk layout)!!
Reinstalling is a M$ invention. It has it's saying "Never find out
what's wrong, reinstall instead!" ;-)

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_