Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 01:23:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Monica Natrajan <natrajanmonica@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie help  with installing FreeBSD

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Monica Natrajan wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to install FreeBSD on a separate partition on a Celeron
> machine(with win 98 on the other partition).
> I do not have a CD ROM  and was planning to do it after downloading the
> software off the web.
> However, the installation instructions that are given are a little
> confusing. I have tried to download from  ftp://ftp.ca.freebsd.org
> but I get only directories containing the src code- are there any binaries
> which can be downloaded?

Usually in a directory like
/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-release/<various subdirs>
You should have matching subdirectories on your dos drive, so you have
c:\freebsd, c:\freebsd\bin, and so forth.  These files are binaries
broken into chunks suitable for storing on slopping disks, although
that's the hard way to do it.

> Also, does installation from MSDOS partition(which I think is the only
> choice available to me) mean that
>  the bsd software will be kept on a directory in the win98 partition and it
> will then create a new partition table on the partition where it is to be
> installed?

The installation process will ask you where you want to create the
partition or slice for FreeBSD.  You can do this in empty space you
have created (by reducing the size of the dos/win partition) or you
can do it by deleting an existing partition, whose data will be lost.
It has to be a primary partition, but it can be a second primary
partition.

> If these questions are too elementary for this forum, can anyone please
> suggest another mailing list ./ website.

Even fuller explanations are available in the installation section of the
handbook, with some info in the FAQ and on the cdroms or the root
directory of the release as well.

Annelise