Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 02:46:15 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "James D. Fowler" <jimmy@digitalmechanix.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP

> I'm having a problem setting up user ppp.
> I'm running 2.2.1 FreeBSD on a 486DX with 24mb ram.
> A local dns on the FreeBSD box.
> The Freebsd box configured as a gateway.
>
> I have tried to set every thing up according to the handbook for dynamic IP, but I can not utilize the connection.
>
> When invoked in Interactive mode (-alias demand)I receive a HDLC error -> FCS: 1 ADDR: 0 COMD: 0 PROTO: 0 in the ppp.log when ever I try to ping anything on the connection.
>
> When invoked in -alias -auto demand it will never dial. Where am I going wrong? And what do I need to do?
>
> The ppp.log shows:
>
> Using interface: tun0
> PPP started
> Phone: the_phone_number
> Chat: Carrier 14400
> *Connected!
> Phase: Authenticate
> his = a_number, mine = 0
> PAP: my_username (my_password)
> Papinput: ACK
> Received PAP_ACK (Login Succeeded)
> Phase: Network
> myaddr = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  hisaddr = yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
> Oslinkup: yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy  (this matches hisaddr)
> HDLC errors -> FCS: 1 ADDR: 0 COMD: 0 PROTO: 0

This sounds like a compression dis-agreement (if you get a framing
error with every ping).

Try disabling compression:

 disable vjcomp
 deny vjcomp
 disable pred1
 deny pred1

If this solves your problem, get the latest ppp from

  http://www.freebsd.org/~brian

and remove the above lines from your config.  Things should be dandy.

If you still have problems, check out the FAQ on

  http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ.html - section 10.7

If you drop me a line with your logs, I'll see what I can do.

> Thanx,
> jimmy
>
> James D. Fowler
>
> Digital Mechanix