Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:37:11 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Chris Coleman <ccoleman@oreilly.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Card Recommendations

Chris Coleman stated:
: Can people here recommend a good PCCard Ethernet card that is both cheap
: and stable.  We want something supported and reliable that is
: inexpensive to sell on the BSD mall.

The Linksys EC2T is pretty cheap (if still made?).  It is 10Mbs only
and has a clunky dongle, but it has almost always "just worked" for
me.  I think they have come out with a newer 10 only card, but I cannot
comment on its behavior with FreeBSD.  Any of the 3Com 3c589 series of
cards are great albeit expensive.  The 3Com or Megahertz 3c572 and 3c574
are 10/100 (X-jack too) cards that tend to just work .. again pretty
pricey relative to the ne2000 cards on the market.

Another thing to find put out there would be good pccard modems (since
most newer notebooks come with the evil software modem).

: We are trying to make it easy to find good BSD supported hardware.
:
: A good Wireless card recommendation would be welcome as well.

Probably the Lucent/Orinoco cards are tops.

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU