Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:19:35 +0100
From:      nowhere <florence44638@caliopea.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Durable/serious arm hardware ?

Hello

I'd like to hear from the most skilled of you, if anybody knows serious
arm based hardware or share this though : I'm becoming convinced that
theses hardware (arm based) are just the consumable-smartphone fashion
counterpart for kids and leisures or tests. Not really final and
carefully finished products; abble to works for years or a decade; doing
is job in a office corner, being forgotten  by anyone, like some of my
older freebsd servers wich are running for a decade now.

Those past years, I've bought 3 arm based devices :

1 raspberry-pi , which was affected by the "micron-ram-chip" bug: except
with debian, it never booted on freebsd (I even tried netbsd): I just
trashed it yesterday (bought in 2014 i think).

1 Beagleboneblack : works fine for weeks then freeze suddenly. And
sometimes did not event reboot (*): had to loop-reset it until boot
process go to the end. Seem the most "workable" product so far.. (bought
in 2015)

1 olimex a20-lime2-emmc: my most recent buy. It did not event boot with
network with it's own debian sd card... (I did not yet take time to make
it's own freebsd sd card): (bought in 2016-07).

My goals, for example, with theses boards were to give some of my nomads
customers, a box with an autonomous dhcp/dns/vpn server on theyr
networks, without the need to change anything else than disabling their
dhcp servers for instance : I think a Quad xeon racked server is a bit
too much for theses tasks; I was using pfsence on pcengines boards
before to do this kind of things.

Since my conclusions are based only on theses 3 boards, I'd like to hear
from thoses of you who works daily with these boards, and thoses opinion
are based on far more than my hand counted experiences.

PM.

(*) I work with a 5V/5A (25w) psu: that's not an overloaded psu problem;
Not a damaged emmc/sd card problem too: all my systems are
read-only-root based: seems to really be an hardware issue.