Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:59:50 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Many packages unable to load.

I tried installing some packages recently from a 3.x SNAP
but was unable to proceed easily due to a single problem.

The reason is that many packages seem to have a prerequisite of me first

firstly:
there is no such package on the places where I was getting the
packages.

secondly:
I just loaded the X distribution when I loaded the machine
so why didn't it register that 'package file' into /var/db/pkg.

The version of X loaded was actually down rev by 0.0.1,
but that shouldn't matter, so the packages should be looking
for a slightly less specific version. I don't want to reload a new X
system every time I install a new package that uses X.

I ended up being able to load by copying the var/db/pkg/gmake??? to
/var/db/pkg/XFree86.3.3.2 and zeroing out anythign to do with gmake..
so it LOOKED as if I'd loaded XFree86.3.3.2

Is anyone lookign at these issues?
what SHOULD I have done?

julian